New Blog

Adventures in Bentomaking has moved! http://www.adventuresinbentomaking.com

November 5, 2007

Teriyaki Pork and Pomegranate Salad (144)

Me and Baby Girl went to Costco on Saturday before the reeeeally soggy weekend kicked off and boy did me and her go fruit crazy. We bought a huge tub of big blueberries, persimmons (which we tried in store), a set of 4 pommelos, and a tray of gigantor pomegranates. Pomegranates are one of my favorite fruits to eat and each tray had 6 mega big ones. I was scared I'd waste a couple, but I ended up eating 3 this weekend alone, hahaha!! No need to worry about fiber now!

I'd seen a recipe by Nigella Lawson where she combined pulled pork and pomegranate seeds, so I thought I'd try something similar with the leftover teriyaki pork chop from last night's dinner.


I sliced up the chop cold this morning and arranged it on top of an entire romaine heart head of lettuce. I added some of my tomatoes (which are backing up) and then sprinkled pomegranate seeds on top. It added a nice bit of color and I was pretty happy with the way it looks. I didn't pack any dressing as I don't think it'll be necessary.

It rained and rained and rained and on Saturday night it was thundering like crazy. I just so happened to peek out at my plants and saw that the rain was coming down so hard that my green onions had been uprooted and were floating around in rain water 3 inches thick. lol I'll have to make some tamagoyaki to save them from being wasted.

Being rained in, we decided to clean house, which meant I had finally run out of excuses to start folding the laundry in the crib, where we have been dumping clean clothes for the last 3 months or so. After at least an hour, I still hadn't dented it, probably because I was folding like 200 little shirts and onesies which took up very little space. I did learn that we could forget to do laundry for the kids for a month and they'd still have enough clothes to wear.

I also baked two pumpkins in order to make fresh pumpkin pie. I went to Foodland to buy some pie crusts, came home, baked the pumpkins, then realized that I did not have ground ginger. Cursing myself, I put the pumpkin pulp away where it will probably rot before I have the motivation to make it into a pie again. I had used another Allakhazam admin's blog post about roasting the pumpkin and there's this one part where she mentions that cutting the pumpkin in half is "hard". This is apparently the way Alaskan people say, "You need a freakin' AXE to get this pumpkin open." Really, I'm surprised I have all my fingers today.

Fan Fest is next. freakin'. week. After working all day Sunday on my costume, I realized that I wasn't going to have enough time to finish it. *SIGH* I have to work on something else for everyone and the briault is just not going very well, so I have to abandon it. *sob*

6 comments:

Par said...

Nice looking salad, I haven't try putting pom in my food yet, possibly later.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Pikko:

Sorry to hear about your briault. Save it for next time...

How do you eat pomegranates? You only eat the seeds? What do they taste like? They are really pretty but they look sour for some reason.

Thanks!

Lalalauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lalalauren said...

Maybe this will help with future pumpkin rosting:

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-roast-whole-pumpkin.html

The salad looks yummy! I have only had a pomegranate once but it sure was yummy! I wonder though are you supposed to eat the whole seed or just suck the juicy bit off and then spit them out? That seems like it would be annoying for a salad!?!

Marryth said...

Haha, we've been using Kaia's crib for clothes storage too - just fold them, and put them in there til we bother putting them away. :P

Your salad looks great!

And sorry to hear about your briault. :/

Pikko said...

I eat the seeds and all! It has a nice crunch to it and then I don't waste either. :)

Pomegranate seeds are a bit tart, but this is precisely why I love them. :)