New Blog

Adventures in Bentomaking has moved! http://www.adventuresinbentomaking.com

April 8, 2008

Sesame Omelet with Shrimp (203)

I had this recipe in some little Japanese food cookbook at home and had been eyeing it for a while. The recipe itself made little sense to me though, asking for 2 large eggs, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Do you have any idea how much salt and pepper that is?!?! Either the "large" eggs I buy at Foodland are like Japanese people to mainland people or this lady really loves pepper in her Japanese food. The recipe is called Sesame Omelet with Shrimp and I modified it a bit by cutting down the mayo. (it asked for 3 tablespoons)


I messed this up in many ways, as usual. First of all, I actually listened to what she said and added 1/4 tsp pepper. Maybe fresh ground pepper is less, but I added the already ground one and holy bob damn my mouth lit on fire when I tasted a piece. Then I used a pan that was too small, so my omelet was thicker and smaller than it was supposed to be. I also didn't have watercress, so I used broccoli, which turned out to be very difficult to roll.

I rolled it up, put it in the fridge to set, then sliced it into nice sushi-like rolls. I'll have to modify it and try again, maybe tomorrow since I still have lots of shrimp. I know it's weird to have a shrimp roll and then shrimp on the side, but I really wanted to eat some with cocktail sauce, which is in the little yellow container. It didn't look colorful enough to me, so I tucked in a couple slivers of carrot in the middle. The edamame was pre-cooked and frozen, so I just defrosted it in water and placed them in nicely.

7 comments:

jef said...

1/4tsp is a very minor amount, imo. That's hardly one grind from my pepper mill, I'd probably give it 3 or 4 grinds, too!

Anonymous said...

I find this bento loooooovely! I may try to roll in a thin omelette but I may not have enough self confidence to do it.

Rachael Hutchings said...

I had the same problem when making my omelets, and then I read this post: http://lunchinabox.net/2008/03/19/microwaved-thin-egg-sheets-usuyaki-tamago/#more-385

It has fixed all my problems! Despite your difficulties in making it, YUM!

Sherry said...

This is a great low-carb option. Looks great!

Pikko said...

See I think the fresh ground turns out to be a lot less than the finely ground.

Thanks for that great link Fuji mama!! I really have to get back into reading other blogs, I haven't had time lately!! ; ;

Anonymous said...

It was probably too much pepper for you for a few reasons - the main one is taking out the mayonaise. In my experience, you kind of have to play around with seasonings when you are reducing the amount of fat in a recipe, since fats have a tendancy to be able to take more heavy flavors. I always have to reduce pepper (as well as a few others) when I either omit fats or use lower fat options.

Could also just be that you had fresher or stronger pepper, since it tends to lose bite as it ages. Or, just a matter of taste. Some people (like my dad used to) put pepper on anything, so over time it takes more and more for them to taste it.

Pikko said...

The pepper was actually in the egg omelet, separate from the mayo. The omelet eaten by itself was terribly over-peppered. I double checked my 1/4 teaspoon and it looked rather large, almost as if it should have been a 1/4 tablespoon, not teaspoon. I'll have to measure and check!